There are no fees associated with AVL. AVL resources are provided for free to all Alabama citizens through funding from the Alabama Legislature.
The Alabama Virtual Library uses geolocation technology to authenticate Alabama residents. This technology allows most Alabama residents to access AVL resources without the need for a username and password.
- If you are physically located in Alabama and you were not automatically authenticated, please click here to atempt to authenticate via your device's physical location. Please Note: You will see a pop up window asking you if you want to allow AVL to access your device's location. If you want AVL to authenticate you based on your device's location, you will need to click on Allow.
- If you have an AVL account, you can log in with your account by clicking here.
If you need immediate access to AVL resources, please call our 24/7 Help Desk at 1-800-338-8320 (toll-free) or 256-971-7448 (direct) to get a temporary username and password.
- If your school provides you with a VPN, you can connect to your school's VPN and then attempt to access AVL resources. Connecting to the school's VPN should give you an IP address on your campuses network.
- If you are a resident of Alabama and you are traveling outside of state, you can request an AVL account by contacting your local public library or the library at your school.
- If you are not a resident of Alabama, but you attend classes through an Alabama school, you can contact the library at your school to request an AVL account.
- If you are unable to access AVL through any of the previous methods, please contact the 24/7 AVL Help Desk at 1-800-338-8320 (toll-free) or 256-971-7448 (direct) to obtain temporary credentials. For security reasons, we do not e-mail log in credentials.
Please contact your local public library to obtain an AVL account. K-12 students/staff and Post-Secondary students/staff may obtain an AVL account by contacting their school's library.
Renewal - AVL accounts must be renewed every five years. To re-new your account, please contact your local public library. K-12 students/staff and Post-Secondary students/staff will need to contact their school's library. Note: Access may be denied at any time by AVL if access is abused.
Shortly after your account is issued, you should receive an e-mail that contains a one-time activation link. You will need to click on the link in order to activate your AVL account and to set your password. Please Note: the activation e-mail will be sent to the e-mail account that was used to request the AVL account. Once you have activated your account and set your password, you can log into AVL using your new AVL account.
To log into AVL with your account, please follow these steps:
- Click on the AVL login icon.
- Enter your user ID into the User ID field. Your user ID is your full e-mail address.
- Enter your password into the Password field.
- Click on the Log In button.