View Resources by Category
- Easily find the Lexile level of any Elementary or Middle school article on Britannica School! The Lexile measure can be found by clicking the Teacher tab in each article. A Lexile measure is a valuable piece of information about either an individual's reading ability or the difficulty of a text.
Welcome! Use the navigation on the left to view Elementary resources by category.
School Edition (Britannica)
- four age-appropriate encyclopedias
- current magazine and journal articles
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate and Student Dictionaries and Thesauri (audio pronunciations)
- world atlas
- Learning Materials correlated to the Alabama State Standards
Free, online resource on Alabama history, culture, geography, and natural environment
- easy-to-use and graphically appealing
- Basic Search screen highlights Topics and includes the ability to search Images or Images/Videos
SIRS Discoverer (SIRS)
- interactive reference tool of full text articles, many with images, from 1,100 magazines for young readers
- resources include Spotlight of the Month topics, The World Almanac for Kids, Merriam-Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus and the Funk & Wagnalls New Encyclopedia
Learning Zone (Britannica)
- interactive atlas
- online art activities
- interactive games and learning materials
- vocabulary builders
- graphic interface
- subject-based topic tree search
- full-text, curriculum-related magazine, newspaper and reference content
- current events, the arts, science, health, people, government, history, sports, etc.
- an animated interface with a dinosaur theme that encourages students to enhance and develop basic search methodologies
- Lexile limiters (reading level) make it easy for students to read and research only appropriately challenging materials
Your location is inside the state of
Alabama so you are automatically
logged in to use the AVL
You are not IP authenticated. Please login
using your AVL Card username and password.
If you do not have an AVL Card, please request
one at your local public library or your local
public school library if you are a student.
AVL username and password.
You are located on the campus of an
Alabama public school or library so
you are automatically logged in
to use the AVL.
Connect with AVL